Home About Writers Categories Recent Issues Subscribe Contact File Transfer

Kevin Helt
Kevin Helt has been racing in all forms of motorsports, building and maintaining his race equipment since 1984. He has worked in the aircraft field for about 12 years in Quality Assurance before going to work for Nmotion Race Technology in early 2004 as a dyno technition and engine builder. In 2005 Kevin became an owner and took over the parts manager position where he made many contact in the motorcycle and atv industry which has proven to be very beneficial to Nmotion. Kevin is experienced in most of the day to day operations at Nmotion where he has taken an active role in managing Nmotion.
2008-07-01 15:11:00
Car or motorcyle accident?
Answer: This news line all of us heard in the Wichita Community prompted me to research, and put this article together regarding the do’s and don’ts of a traffic accident. “One person is dead another is in critical condition after a motorcycle accident early Saturday morning near the intersection on I-135 and K-254. Witnesses say shortly after 2am, a man in what appeared to be a dark colored Dodge Intrepid tried to exit onto northbound I-135, and then changed his mind. When he merged back onto K-254, he sideswiped a motorcycle, sending it into a guardrail. The driver of the Intrepid left the scene before police could arrive. As many of you have heard the Jeeps Club has lost one of it’s most active and valued members. Early Saturday morning July 12th 2008, while out on an early morning motorcycle ride Greg and Patty Gilman were the victims of a hit and run motorist, who ran their Harley into a guard rail on the I-135 & K-254 Interchange. Patty Gilman was pronounced dead at the scene. Greg was taken to St. Frances Medical center where he is listed in critical condition”. Being involved in an auto/motorcycle accident is a traumatic experience, and there are several things that you need to do when you are involved in an accident. First, stop your car. Do not leave the accident scene as hit-and-run policies are severe and can complicate your situation. DO NOT MOVE THE VEHICLES and call the police. When they arrive, the police will see the vehicles at the time of impact. This will assist them in their evaluation of what happened. Most states have rules as to when a police report must be made. This usually depends on the amount of damage. It is best just to call the police. Don’t let the other person talk you out of this and say “We’ll take care of this ourselves.” It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident. If the other person tries to leave be certain to get their license plate number; it’s imperative to have information when tracking down a hit and run driver. Next, check to see if anyone is injured. If someone is injured, call an ambulance for assistance. Do not attempt to move someone who is injured severely if you are not trained to do so. Moving an injured person can result in making their accident injuries worse. Use your judgment, though, as removing a person from a flaming car may worsen their injuries, but save their life. You should always move injured people if they are at risk of further injuries or death. After making sure everyone involved in the accident is okay take notes. It is your responsibility to file an accident report with the police and the most important thing you can do is to document the entire situation by taking careful notes as soon after your accident as you can. This step can help make the entire claim process easier on you -- and increase your chances of receiving all the compensation to which you are entitled. Having notes to remind you of all the details of what happened, and what you went through, is far easier and far more accurate than relying on your memory. Write things down as soon as you can: Begin with what you were doing and where you were going, the people you were with, the time, and the weather. Include every detail of what you saw, heard, and felt. Be sure to add anything you remember hearing anyone -- a person involved in the accident or a witness -- say about the accident. The police should speak to all people involved in the accident and give exchange information. Keep this information in front of you when you call your insurance companyBy but not rely on the police report alone for an investigation of your car accident, but also make and maintain a copy of your own detailed notes. If your case needs to go to court, these details will greatly assist you and your attorney as most cases take approximately 14-22 months to go to court. Therefore, you should write down everything about the accident while it is fresh in your memory. Your notes should address the following: • time and date of accident • where were you going or coming from (why were you driving?) • weather conditions • police officer’s name • facts of the accident (were you or the other driver on a cell phone at the time of the accident?) • names and contact information for any witnesses • names and addresses of any passengers • place of the accident The more detailed your notes, the better your chance of receiving the compensation you deserve. These notes will be useful if you need to contact an attorney to collect damages... If the police do not arrive at the scene, file a written report at the police department as soon after the accident as possible. When talking to the police, do not admit guilt or put blame on others involved in the accident. Try to simply state the facts. For example, instead of saying, “I wasn’t speeding,” tell the officer how fast you were going, “I was going 45 mph in this 50 mph speed zone.” If the officer issues you a ticket, sign it. Signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt; rather, it is a promise that you will appear in court to contest the ticket or pay the ticket at a later time. Refusing to sign a ticket may result in arrest. Before admitting guilt or paying a fine, it is a good idea to contact an accident lawyer so you do not inadvertently hurt your chances of collecting damages from the other driver later. An attorney can help you resolve these legal issues. I beg of you to please drive safely and responsibly this summer. With gas prices on the rise, we can expect to see more and more motorcycles then ever before, and it’s extremely important to keep a close eye out for everyone on our roadways. A memorial fund for Patty Gilman’s at the Chisholm Trail State Bank in Park City. If you want to contribute to help the Gilman family here is where to send your contribution. Make checks out to Patty Gilman memorial fund and send them to: Chisholm Trail State Bank 6160 N. Broadway Wichita, Ks 67219 - Or - Chisholm Trail State Bank PO Box 4658 Wichita, Ks 67204
The Q & A Times Journal accepts no responsibility for unsolicited manuscripts or photographs.Materials will not be returned unless accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope. Thank you.
Wildcard SSL Certificates