Home About Writers Categories Recent Issues Subscribe Contact File Transfer

Brent Boyd
Brent Boyd is the Manager for the Love Box Factory Outlet on East Central in Wichita. The Love Box Factory Outlets have been in the box, pack, and ship business for over ten years and currently operate six retail stores in Kansas and Oklahoma. The Outlet Stores are owned and supplied by Love Box Company (www.lovebox.com), a locally owned manufacturer of corrugated boxes and packaging systems in Wichita for over 70 years. You may contact Brent at the Love Box Factory Outlet at 6100 E. Central in Wichita. The phone number is (316) 689-8484 and the store's email address is FOEast@lovebox.com
Packing, Shipping & Mailing
2002-10-01 12:06:00
Shipping containers
Brent Boyd Question:  Are there specific regulations on containers and packing for shipping through the various sources?Answer:  For the average person wanting to send a package to a friend, business associate or family member by common carrier, there are only a few specific regulations or restrictions on the type of shipping containers to keep in mind.  Common carriers include the United Parcel Service (UPS), Federal Express (FedEx), Airborne Express or the United States Postal System (USPS).  The shipping of hazardous goods, briefly discussed below, is the most regulated of shipped materials.Even though corrugated (heavy cardboard) containers are standard for shipping, there are other alternatives.  Items enclosed in plastic Tyvek bags are also very common.  Items such as suitcases, plastic barrels, other hard plastic containers, tires, and metal or wood containers can also be shipped.  (For irregularly shaped items and bare metals, be sure to cover all sharp or protruding edges with taped-on corrugated cardboard pieces.)  In most cases, items not fully enclosed in a corrugated container will incur an additional handling fee of $5 to $10 per container.  When using a corrugated container, be sure it is sturdy with all flaps intact.  Depending on the weight, it may be necessary to either double-box your item or use a box rated for the weight you need.  Packages weighing more than 70 pounds need to be in a new corrugated container with seams that are stitched or stapled, not glued.  You can check the strength of the box by looking at the circular Box Manufacturer's Certificate (BMC) printed on the bottom of the box.  It is very important that the container used supports the weight of the item you want shipped if you want your package insured by the carrier you choose to deliver your package. Here are some "Do Not's" when it comes to closing your containers.  Never use string, rope, duct tape or masking tape to close the box.  Also, do not overwrap the outer box with paper.  These items interfere with sorting and handling equipment. If you are in a business that includes transporting goods, the rules for shipping products in corrugated boxes by truck are outlined in the National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC).  Item 222 of the NMFC sets quality standards that must be met by the manufacturer.  The Department of Transportation (DOT) regulates the packaging and transport of hazardous materials.  The regulations for packages containing hazardous materials vary, depending on how hazardous the material is and, in some cases, how the material will be transported.  Contact a packaging and shipping expert when you need to transport anything hazardous.  Anyone who performs any function subject to the hazardous materials regulations must be specifically trained and tested in general awareness of the regulations and safety in handling these types of materials.
The Q & A Times Journal accepts no responsibility for unsolicited manuscripts or photographs.Materials will not be returned unless accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope. Thank you.
Wildcard SSL Certificates